Wednesday, March 23, 2011

V706_1 fretboard attachments...

Trussrod glued in. Really have to let these dry over night or else they will never dry.

Prep the fretboard. I could not see the pencil lines for the taper so I used masking tape to mark them. It also served to protect the face of the board from the epoxy.

Holes are drilled to align the board and prevent slipping during and after clamping. I use 3 really small brads in 3/32" holes for this. No pictures after this point because I need all my hands to align and clamp before the epoxy sets. It always ends with every clamp in the shop.

This is the first run using system three T-88 epoxy to attach a fretboard. Initial thoughts. Glad I ran a test run before trying it on other necks.

Neck and fretboard are still dead straight, no woops - bumps - or backbow. I like that part.

Joint came out clean. Just like titebond or better. Ziricote is always hard to glue without a little piece chipping here or there... the epoxy filled any of that.

It sands like epoxy... not that titebond is any better. I ended up using the router to clean up the edges. In the future I will protect the sides of the neck with masking tape (Same as I do with titebond).

Things left to test: flexing the neck and tightening the trussrod. It takes 24 hours to cure and says it builds strength as it ages until fully cured. Will need to make sure it doesn't become brittle and loose its hold on the wood after fully cured.

I will have to test it before using it on maple to maple joints.

After using the router to clean the joints I sanded it clean.

Sanded fretboard flat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.