Sunday, April 3, 2011

S908_1 Neck work

T-88 test #100. I had some left over in the cup cured for about a week. Lets slam it against the floor and see if we can break it. Well the camera battery ran out after the first slam... it took 5 more to crack and another one to actually break it. I know you are wondering "why?" but seriously... if you pay over 2Gs for a guitar somebody better have done this type of test on the glues they use. The unsuspecting left over glue.

Trussrod siliconed in. Then I realized I made a mistake with the headstock wing. I missed by 2mm. However after the recent case fiasco with a headstock that was 4mm to long I did the right thing and moved the wing rather than let the headstock drift.

Third run with T-88 epoxy for the fretboard. This time went with blue tape so I don't have to clean up tape glue residue.

I squeezed a 27.5" scale into a private stock of bloodwood for this fretboard. I wasn't sure what to do with all this walnut so I went with the bloodwood. Finding the center-line in a hardboard template is hard so I drill 3 1/2" holes in the template to ease finding the center.

After a trip to the bandsaw to get withing a 1mm of the template I sand the high spots to make sure the whiteside bit is kind to the neck blank. The T-88 glue lines are first rate. I am amazed I was able to get lines like this with epoxy.

To the router.

I know I want to bring the top into the headstock but the piece was not wide enough to cover the whole headstock. Normally I would bookmatch the headstock plate. For this I just had a really crazy idea...and since it is a prototype I can do whatever I want. This is a melted headstock.

After the scroll saw it is time to glue it all together. Thick CA and a few clamps.

Out of the clamps and into the drum sander. Next is the 14 degree angle to match the plate to the fretboard.

And finally trussrod slot and clamps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.