Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Winding single coil 8

On the winder... first wind on this bobbin but I have some similar sized bobbins from the multi scale work so I havea number of winds in mind to hit the target resistance. Hope the 2-sided tape is enough to keep this big bobbin attached... I hate when they come off and hit me in the head.

Fast forward. Bobbin wound, wired, and pole pieces in time to fit the baseplate.

Cover fit and testing of the pickup. It still needs to be potted so I did not envelope the coil in tape yet. After I wax it I will wrap the coil tightly in tape for protection and aesthetics.

Monday, December 20, 2010

Covering a single coil

Edges rounded and starting on the finish sanding.

Finished up. So it is pretty close to the EMG-40. I beveled the sides to match the EMG-40 cover.

Sunday, December 19, 2010

SC 8

Of course it is freezing and sleeting outside... what an ugly December.

Making a cover for an 8 string single coil that matches an EMG-40 takes a couple of tries. I made the prototype out of Padauk. This would be easier with a mill. First thing was a template for the cavity and test it.

Make the baseplate for the SC so it can be used without a cover if necessary.

Ok so the test cover is made and it fits. Also looks like it matches the EMG-40 pretty close. I still need to round all the edges but you get the idea.

On to the ebony... After several blow outs finally get a good slot cut.

Last look at the base plate.

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Return to 7 string prototypes

Gluing a wing on the headstock to accommodate the new re-worked 7 string headstock.

Roughing in the headstock.

Cleaned up the heal and marked the body for the neck pocket. Then template mounted with double sided tape.

Neck pocket routed.

The neck pocket is cut at the end of the route. Leaving the heal longer on this build because I plan on blending the heal and neck like a neck-through

Once I trued the neck up it fit the route very nice. Had to push pretty hard to get it all together.

And the fit test passes. The reverse headstock gives the guitar an interesting look. Still needs a headplate.

The new 7 string pickup template. No margin for error on this one as the template fits the pickups very tight. I think I will call it a day and watch football.

8 String Sunday.

More 8 string pickup work. Shaping bobbins on the spindle sander.

These will be the first 8 string HB set. Birdseye maple.

Skipping ahead to macassar ebony 8 String single coils bobbins. Sanded out to 400 grit.

Done with bobbins for today. Waiting on covers to make baseplates.