Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Just milling about...

Milling about...
7 String Multiscale body on the machine

Recess for Hipshot single bridges and pickups. The weather was bad so I had to close the door on the shop. Tired of cold and rain.

Then the sun came out.

Oil for a few. Boring work.

Monday, April 14, 2014

Things sometimes go wrong.

Some pickup work.

Strange set of Diablos. Basically vintage PAF repros with Diablo windings. 49.2mm spacing, butyrate bobbins, US made US steel poles and slugs, US made long leg baseplates, vintage braided wire. Can't wait to stick them in an SG or LP.

Finished up the SMB5 Stingray pickup and a set of Js.

Gluing up spalted top. Going to try a new technique. I am going to use a piece of high density foam as a spring in between a caul and the body to try and put consitent pressure on the top. Flash forward. Turned out ok but don't bother trying it as it was not better than the regular method.

The results of the change to the head on the headless.

Time for the Disaster tale. So I decided to try a Titebond glue up because this body is so light I didn't want a lot of epoxy weighing it down. Horrible idea. Note that this works but I have a suspect chunk of African Mahogany that has done this once before so shame on me for trying it again. The reason I stopped using Titebond for this is by what happens next.

So the blank warped.

And then this happened when I tried to straighten it.

The fix is to clamp it straight for a day and add a strip into the middle. Needless to say I am not happy because of all the extra work I now have to do to salvage the top.

Changed my control cavities again. Trying to speed up machine time cutting and changed the plate to extend off the body. When you start seeing it everywhere remember you saw it here first.

Headless test